Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Many Looks of Indian Food

Have you ever noticed that a lot of Indian Food looks the same? I recently tried an Indian restaurant on the west bank called Saffron. FYI, Saffron is only open on Friday nights currently. Yes, a restaurant only open one night a week. No lunches either. Saffron is mainly a caterer. I hear they are doing a few Sunday brunches but I am unsure if it's every week.
So, how is the food? The food is excellent! A little too spicy for me, but great flavors. The staff was also super attentive and helpful. The problems I had with Saffron was that everything looked and tasted very similar. The flavors were also so spicy that I subconsciously ate too quickly in order to keep my mouth from burning.
So, clearly each entree dish looks very similar. We ordered beef, goat, and chicken and I honestly couldnt decipher one from the other. I would like to see a different layout or shape on each plate to create more diversity of appearance for the guest. They were all great, but the spice was similar in each. Next time I go to Saffron I want to challenge the chef to show me the broad spectrum of Indian food which I know he/she will be able to do.
I will most definitely be back to Saffron for Round II. Notes to the wise: make reservations, they do serve wine & alcohol, and eat lots of Naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment