Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Latest Round of Jerky - Venison

The third attempt at jerky proved to be the most successful trial yet. That said, there is still major room for improvement. This go around I used a venison back-strap provided and marinaded by Robert "Big Bob" Bronstein. This venison back-strap was lean and flavorful - My kind of jerky! To be noted, the most important part of the process is dehydration time ....& sure enough I messed this up! I left the meat in too long which resulted in a tough (over cooked) jerky.




Another quick tip: Don't cut that jerky too think or short. A good piece of jerky has some bulk and thickness to it.

The flavor of this round of jerky was excellent, but next go around, I will start the dehydration right before bed & turn off as soon as I wake up.

Making your own jerky is a very easy and a rewarding process that I will continue to pursue in the future! My next venture with Robert is boiling our own peanuts!

In other news, check out this feature in The New Orleans Magazine on my pickles:
http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans-Magazine/October-2012/Guy-Things/

No comments:

Post a Comment